Under the direction of the General manager, plan, direct, and coordinate all solid waste collection and disposal services within the guidelines of operating manuals, state laws and DOT regulations ensuring the safe and efficient transport and disposal of solid waste, recycling and or cardboard. Oversee and coordinate administration of staff and respond to and resolve administrative/operational issues.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities: (Additional duties may be assigned)
Coordinate and supervise the day-to-day solid waste collection and disposal for customers in retrospect with driver availability and fleet management. Review and analyze commercial / residential collection routes, pick-up locations, and other data.
- Fill in on daily routes as needed. Assist dispatch with checking in drivers at the end of their shift, perform route audits, track daily attendance, handle damage claims, train new drivers on routes and run errands.
- Obtain work orders and route sheets to schedule delivery and collection of dumpsters, compactors and roll-off containers.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable codes, laws, rules, DOT regulations, standards, policies and procedures; ensure adherence to established safety procedures; monitor work environment and use of safety equipment to ensure safety of employees and other individuals; initiate any actions necessary to correct deviations or violations.
- Act as a liaison between staff, management and customers in the resolution of day-to-day administrative and operational problems via email and phone.
- Perform a variety of general administrative duties including, but not limited to, completing all necessary paperwork and ensuring timely responses to a variety of routine inquires.
- Actively participate in management meetings and make recommendations to improve production efficiency and safety standards within defined areas.
- Maintain a comprehensive, current knowledge of applicable laws/regulations, technology features to train and keep staff informed.
- Uses Drive cam (Lytx) for coaching sessions with drivers to ensure safe driving habits
The Supervisor has supervision over the yard, roll-off , residential and commercial drivers. Supervisory responsibilities include determining work priority, planning, scheduling and assigning work; checking and approving work; instructing and training in work methods; conducting performance evaluations and administering disciplinary actions.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
- High school diploma or GED required.
- At least three years previous experience in sanitation routing, collection and/or solid waste disposal.
- Must possess and maintain a valid New York State class A or B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
- Travel during normal work hours and occasional weekend travel.
- Extended and/or non traditional hours including ability to be on call before/after normal work hours on a regular basis.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Computer proficiency including word processing, data entry, spreadsheets, and generating reports using standard software applications.
- Knowledge of all applicable laws and ordinances including Federal, State and local environmental laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of and the ability to develop procedures for planning and coordinating solid waste programs.
- Ability to manage route collections, track driver performance, and provide quality customer service.
- Knowledge of organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
- Ability in identifying and resolving problems and conflicts as they arise.
- Ability to gather data, compiles information, and prepares reports.
- Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments.
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to manage multiple projects and details simultaneously.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain accurate records and data files.
- Must possess excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to handle and resolve customer complaints and concerns.
- Conducts performance reviews, motivates team members and creates strategies to boost productivity
- Equipment Used: Ability to operate all equipment including several different types of vehicles / trucks, computer, printer, telephone, photocopier, fax machine, scanner, fork lift, various hand and power tools, and hand held radio. Ability to wear safety glasses, shoes and gloves; hard hat and hearing protection.Computer Software: Microsoft Office to include Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel
Mental and Visual Requirements:
Close mental and visual attention required for controlling machines or processes at a rapid pace requiring close coordination and fine adjustment. And/or planning or directing fairly complex work methods or operations that obtain size, shape, or physical qualities of product.
Physical Activities and Requirements:
Ability to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, use hands to finger, grasp, handle, or feel, reach, push, pull, climb, shovel, and perform repetitive motions with hands and/or wrists
- Exerts in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or in excess of 10 pounds of force frequently to move objects.
- Environmental Conditions:Duties include handling garbage, strongly unpleasant odors, etc. The employee is subject to inside and/or outside environmental conditions and is exposed to dust, dirt, heat, fumes, and/or cold. The employee is subject to extreme cold or extreme heat defined as temperatures below 32 degrees for periods of more than one hour or temperatures above 100 degrees for periods of more than one hour. The employee is frequently subject to occupational hazards, including proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, and exposure to serious injury.
- Employer’s Disclaimer:
- All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
- This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. Furthermore, the company reserves the right to add to or revise an employee’s job duties at any time at its sole discretion.
- This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.Benefits:At Suburban Disposal, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision and Short Term Disability. As well as a Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days
- The hourly rate will be based on experience and qualifications in the range of $17-20 per hour